As Summer Heats up so do the Air Conditioning Disputes!
As Summer Heats up so do the air conditioning complaints!
Summer is here and it’s predicted to be a hot summer season with temperatures in the high 30’s and some days even reaching 40’s.
It’s the time of year when lot owners and tenants look to install and use air conditioners to relieve themselves from the oppressive heat.
Did you know air conditioners are high on the list for strata disputes?
Air conditioners can cause all types of complaints in strata such as:
- What if the noise of the unit upsets the peace and quiet?
- Who’s responsible for maintenance?
- What if the unit leaks water into another apartment?
- Is it in line with the appearance of the lot?
- and much more!
A Good By-law Addressing Air Conditioning Units is Important
For these reasons it’s important that you have a good by-law in place regulating the installation and use of them that covers the following (and much more):
- What type of air conditioning equipment is appropriate?
- Where can the unit be installed?
- Will council approval be required?
- Will owners corporation approval be required?
- Will it be installed on common property?
- Will a by-law be required for individual lots, or can it be covered under a general by-law?
A good by-law will ensure that your summer is as stress free as possible and reduces (and hopefully eliminates) any strata disputes in relation to air conditioners.
Adrian Mueller I BCOM LLB FACCAL I Partner
Since 2002 Adrian has specialised almost exclusively in the area of strata law. His knowledge of, and experience in strata law is second to none. He is the youngest person to have been admitted as a Fellow of the ACSL, the peak body for strata lawyers in Australia. Profile I Linked
For all strata law advice including by-laws, building defects and levy collections contact our specialist NSW and Sydney strata lawyers here or call 02 9562 1266, we’re happy to assist.